This post is about weight. What's ironic is I actually HATE talking about weight! Throughout my life, people have asked me how I stay so thin. Here's my answer: genetics. I'm a small person. I come from a family of small people. We're not very tall and we're relatively thin. I've been blessed with a fast rate of metabolism. I'm not saying any of this to brag about how I don't have to count calories or exercise regularly to maintain my weight (yet, that is. I'm counting on that changing as I get older and as kids come). I'm bringing it up because I'm tired of talking about it, and thinking about it and being asked about it. When I was a kid, my grandma thought my parents were starving me. She would mail them newspaper clippings about malnourished children and such. When I was about 7, she invited me to spend the night at her house. That night there was a movie on TV about Karen Carpenter. I know a lot about Karen Carpenter that most of my generation do not know. For example: in her 20's she died of a heart attack as a complication of anorexia. During the commercial breaks my grandma really stressed to me the importance of eating plenty of food. If you don't you'll die. There are many people who worry about my weight (my husband is not one of them, nor are my parents) and try to make sure I'm eating enough food. People, I eat when I'm hungry and I stop eating when I'm full. I've been to doctors and even a counselor about my weight asking them if I need to be concerned about it. Their answer has always been, no, just eat healthy and exercise. Bottom line, I'm a healthy weight for my height and bone structure. Please stop worrying about me.
Another thing that has started to bug me is when people assume that because I'm thin, I'm in great shape. Not true. I told a friend once that I needed to start exercising more. She said, "You don't need to exercise. You're already thin enough." I don't exercise because I want to lose weight. I exercise because it feels good, I'm more motivated to eat healthy food, I sleep better at night, I handle stress better and I have a more positive attitude about myself and my life. I've been to exercise classes at the gym and have felt the stares as the other students wonder why I'm there. I don't go to make other people feel bad about themselves! I don't think to myself, "I'm glad I'm not fat like them." I go for myself and for my own well-being.
In conclusion: Not all skinny people are sick. Exercise is for everyone. Don't feel bad if you've lost 50 pounds and I haven't said anything about it to you. We each only have one body and we'll all be much happier if we stop focusing on what we hate about ourselves.





5 comments:
lol....i really had to laugh when you mentioned that it's not like youre there thinking "im glad im not fat like them." hahaa. oh julie, you rock. It's so true. Exercise IS for everyone...not to mention there is such a thing as a fat skinny person. if your skinny but you have no muscle and just fat, then that's no good. it's important to take care of yourself. You just feel so much better.
My hubby's family genes are similar to yours. Everyone is thin with fast metabolisms and the girls are all 5'2"; but high cholesterol and heart disease is a big deal in his family and his mom who is tiny has already had a heart attack...so it just shows that even skinny people have to take care of themselves. I also get the 'you don't need exercise' responses whenever i mention i need to get back into a regular workout schedule. It's kind of sad that there are so many people focused on weight loss just for looks and not so that they can live longer, healthier lives. However im not gonna lie, even though i know im far from being fat, i wouldn't complain if i lost a couple pounds off my butt. :P
P.S. ive never thought you looked "too" skinny or unhealthy. you've always looked perfect! :)
TOUCHE!!! Julie, I know exactly what you mean! I was the same way, but actually, when I was your age, people were not SO concerned about weight because being overweight was not as prevalent as it is now. Good for you for sticking up for yourself!! I totally support you.
Good job :)
I wish I could say I was on the end of your spectrum, I used to be that way until I had kids - but I understand.
I think you are grrrreat
TWO THUMBS UP!!! I'm thinking about stealing what you wrote and putting it on my blog or something. It really bothers me too.
i love this post. i hate when people ask me about my weight. i am thin and always have been. doing nothing for it. just try to eat healthy and excercise. so i totally understand you.
Post a Comment