Thursday, February 18, 2010

Beer Battered Onion Rings

I've always wanted to make onion rings and finally did it today. I love being off track! I've been searching the internet for the last couple days trying to find a good recipe and I found this one for Beer Battered Onion Rings, but since I don't drink beer I used root beer. I also want to try it with Sprite sometime and see how that tastes. Basically, the carbonation helps make the batter more crunchy after it's fried. Here's the recipe:
 

Beer Battered Onion Rings
1 1/4 cup flour (I used more to thicken the batter)
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 2/3 cup beer (or other carbonated drink)
4 medium white onions cut into rings and seperated
vegetable oil for frying

Mix flour, baking powder salt and beer into a batter. Dip onions into batter and let sit for about 5 minutes. Start heating oil. When oil is ready use tongs to put each ring in the oil. Let them cook for about 3 minutes. Place on paper towels to let excess oil drain off. Salt immediately. Let cool and get crispy. Enjoy!

Here's the link to YouTube where I got the recipe: Beer Battered Onion Rings 
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments: