Monday, June 7, 2010

Georgia Aquarium

We went to Atlanta for the weekend. It's just a couple hours' drive from Montgomery, so we were excited to go to a new place. I was most excited about going to the Georgia Aquarium because I'd seen a documentary about it at the Living Planet Aquarium in Utah. It's the largest aquarium in the world and had some really awesome animals! I was SOO glad we got to go there!

Touching rays and sharks in the touch pool. I actually touched a ray. It felt squishy and slimy. Daniel was braver than I was and touched more than one.

African Penguin

Piranhas! It's a piranha!

2 Baluga whales! They vocalized a few times while we were watching them. That was pretty cool!

Hammerhead shark. This one was terrorizing the little fish pretty good while we were there. It was pretty cool to watch. I wasn't sure who I was pulling for, the fish to get away or the shark to catch it.

One of 2 manta rays. After this one had his lunch he was doing back flips over and over. It was cool.

2 of their 4 whale sharks. We watched them get fed. Their mouths are about 2 feet long, but their throats are just the size of a quarter, so they only eat very small things. They open their mouths and the water just rushes in like a vacuum. They filter the water out through their gills and the food goes in their throats. It was really interesting to watch.
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Okay...TOO cool!! Now I want to come back and see these things!