Monday, June 7, 2010

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

One of the things I was most excited to learn more about when we moved here is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement. Last week I learned a lot about MLK and got to visit some of the places that are significant in his life. In Atlanta, Daniel and I visited his birth home and burial site which is now a National Historic Site. There's a museum and rose garden there now. In Montgomery near the capitol is the first church where he had his first job as a minister and where he started the Montgomery Bus Boycott. I can't help but wonder how the world would be different if he hadn't been killed, but lived out his natural life. I appreciate what he did. I admire his courage, faith and dedication. He was a great leader who led by example. He was a great man. I'm still interested in learning more about him and his life and the entire Civil Rights Movement. This is a good start.
The house where MLK was born and raised. Auburn Avenue in Atlanta.

This plaque was inlaid on the front steps of the house.

This is the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery where MLK began the bus boycott. He also named his first son Dexter after this church.

MLK was inspired by Ghandi. He even went to India to learn more about him and he left flowers at Ghandi's tomb. This statue is at the Atlanta museum.

Across the street from the museum in Atlanta the Kings are interred in this spot.

These are some really great pics Daniel got of some of the roses in the memorial rose garden in Atlanta.
Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Isn't it great to learn historical things about places and people?! I love your pictures too! Good job! Love, Mom

Liz Smith said...

i love MLK. how awesome that you got to visit those sites.