Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Emerald Coast

A couple weekends ago we went to Florida's Emerald Coast (between Pensacola and Panama City). We wanted to go before the beaches were closed because of oil and tar. It surprised me how different the Florida beaches are compared to the California beaches I'm used to. For one thing, the sand is white and very fine and soft, the water is turquoise and you can actually see the fish in the water with you (I really didn't like that fact, but just kicked a lot and made lots of splashes to scare the fish away). We spent the whole weekend at walking along the beach, swimming in the ocean, eating seafood, go cart racing, lightning storm watching, and eating ice cream. It was one of the most relaxing trips we've ever taken. We LOVED it! Unfortunately we didn't get any pictures of the two of us. Oh well.

 This is before we changed into our swimwear and also pre-huge-hat (no, I will not be posting a picture of the hat in this post).

Daniel at The Crab Trap. The view was fantastic and super fun!

We found this sand person sunbathing. Not too bad! 

The ocean is in the dark. We watched the lightning storm from this covered pavilion on the beach. Daniel kept trying to capture a lightning strike with the camera, but apparently light moves REALLY fast. (who knew?)

Oh, we also got super sunburned! Despite our SPF 80 sunscreen and my huge funny looking straw hat, our shoulders and feet got so sunburned that we didn't even want to wear shoes or hug each other because it hurt too bad. Print Friendly and PDF

4 comments:

Liz Smith said...

i have yet to see florida beaches but i am sure they are very similar to the ones we've been to in the caribbean. although i'd like to see them compete with the surf waves we have on the west coast! haha....i really don't care cuz i don't surf...i definitely prefer soft sand and warm water, but i didn't want to completely rag on my hometown beaches. :P sorry you got so sunburned!!!! that stinks! :(

Laurie said...

JULIE!! I'm so happy and excited that you got a BIG, HUGH, HAT!! That's wonderful!! Can't wait to see it!! :)

Danny and Karen said...

This looks like so much fun! It's BEAUTIFUL! We will definitely be visiting you guys and we'll have to make a trip like that to the beach. I'm so glad you're both having fun :) I Yubby you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys had such a great time. What cool adventures! ~ P.L.