Friday, October 7, 2011

Quick Update

It's been a while, so I thought I'd give a quick update of how insane our September was.

Aside from finding out our assignment to Washington, I turned 30 and afterward realized that I had accomplished one more thing on my list of "30 before 30" than I thought. I'll post more about that later.

Also, I started working again. I'm working at a local elementary school where I tutor 4th and 5th graders. It's a pretty good job because I only work 15 hours a week and get paid really well for how little work I actually have to do. 

We helped clean some Civil War headstones in a local cemetery. Columbus was a hospital town during the Civil War and one of the Boy Scouts at church decided to make organizing the cleaning of those old headstones his Eagle Scout project. It was a really great experience.

The children we work with at church presented their annual Primary Program. Daniel played the piano for all the songs and I was sick and couldn't go :-(. I hear it went well though! All those months of practicing the songs and several weeks of practicing speaking parts really paid off.

The highlight of the month and the event we'd been waiting for all of Daniel's life also occurred. He got his Air Force pilot wings!!!!!! As soon as we can sort through the hundreds of photos we took that day, I'll write a post just about graduation, but it was a wonderful day! We had family come in from California, Utah, Colorado and Florida to celebrate with us and it was a great blessing to have them all here.

September was sure busy for us and the next few months will be interesting as well. Daniel has some survival trainings this month in Florida and Washington. He is really excited about those because they're water and outdoor survival and escape and evasion trainings. That's right up his alley. I'm glad I don't have to go. After Thanksgiving we'll move to Oklahoma where he'll learn to fly the C-17 until March. We won't get to Washington until mid-April. It feels forever away still, but we're hoping the time literally and figuratively flies by. :-) Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Megan said...

CONGRATS DANIEL!! You deserve it!! So glad all your hard work paid off!! What an amazing achievement! Good job!! Glad you guys are having fun! Can't wait for more updates!! Keep them coming!

Mona "Lisa" said...

Wow! You guys have been way busy. I can't believe you are 30- you don't look it at all! :) That Eagle project sounds soo fun! Also, neat that Dan got to play the piano for the Primary program! I had no idea you guys would still be down there for a while...But it seems like it will go by quickly though with the holidays and you both being busy. Let us know if you guys end up driving through, it would be fun to see you guys! :)