Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Track Select

As you may remember from this post, Daniel's pilot training (UPT) is divided up into 3 phases. Phase 3 starts this week. On Friday night we learned what Daniel's Phase 3 training aircraft will be: the T-1 Jayhawk. The T-1 looks like a small Leer Jet and is a trainer for heavy aircraft. Although we're a little disappointed that he won't be training for a fighter, we think it's pretty exciting to have this unexpected turn in his career. Things don't always go as we plan and we find that that keeps us on our toes.
Daniel with his new training jet: the T-1 Jayhawk.
 Friday's Phase 3 trainer unveiling was the end of a fun and very educational day. Daniel and I were so happy that his dad came out all the way from Utah to be here for it. The Air Force calls it Red Carpet Day and it's a lot more like Bring Your Family to Work Day. We got to go into Daniel's flight room and meet some of his instructors. They demonstrated some of their training techniques for us and Daniel showed us what he does to prepare for a flight. It was amazing to see Daniel in action!

This is where Daniel would get ready for his flight. Put on G-suit, harness and grab his helmet and oxygen mask.
Daniel used this computer to show us how he prepped for a flight. He used the little airplanes on sticks to demonstrate some of his aerobatic maneuvers as single ship and as formation.

We also got to use a simulator! It was the most awesome video game ever! I crashed 3 times. It was really hard to just stay level and turn in the right direction! That's all I was concentrating on. Daniel's dad did a lot better in the simulator than I did. Then Daniel got in and showed us how it's done. He's definitely my hero.
Me using the T-6 simulator. I was supposed to buzz the control tower, fly under a bridge and land. If I had 2 years to learn how to fly this thing I might be able to do it, but definitely not in 6 months!

Daniel's dad in the simulator. He did a great job! We had a big screen in front of us so we could see where we were going. The instruments worked and the stall warning and everything. The stall warning is what gave Daniel a hard time on his initial solo. Now that I've experienced what it feels like, I can't believe Daniel was able to land the plane with it going off!

We got to see a T-6, a T-38 and a T-1 up close and even sit in some of the cockpits. I really enjoyed that. It was so cool to be standing on the wing of the T-6 and think to myself, "My husband knows how to fly this thing!"
The T-6 Texan II.




The most important thing I got out of the Red Carpet Day festivities was a deeper appreciation for Daniel and how hard he works. I am so proud of him! Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Congrats you guys! Scott is doing T-1's as well!

Jeff and Kathy Bell said...

wow this is so cool! Its so cool to say I have a brother-in-law who does this! What a total adventure for the both of you!

The Larchars said...

Those are great pictures, and it looks like fun! I remember going to flight events when my dad was a pilot. As a kid I thought it was cool too! Way to go Daniel! Hope you end up liking this new plane!

Liz Smith said...

DEFINITELY cool! thanks for sharing. i thinks it's amazing that there are people like your hubby that can fly those planes and do what they do. so awesome!

Megan said...

Congrats! So happy for you both! Missing you!

Laurie said...

We're so happy Terry could be there for such a big day and sorry we missed it. We are so proud of you both! Looking forward to graduation day there!!