After 10 minutes or so of studying and chewing, I felt a cool liquid enter my mouth. I thought "Eww! Old spit! A lot of old spit! That's nasty! I need to quit this pen chewing habit." I decided not to swallow it and just ask my roommate next to me for a tissue to spit out the spit. Before I asked her though, I found a verse that I wanted to mark. As I was marking it, I noticed that my bright green gel pen was suddenly almost completely out of ink! Just as the horror of what had happened hit me, a temple worker walked into the chapel to close our baptismal session. I was trapped! I had a pen's worth of green ink in my mouth and I was trapped by 7 long-legged people sitting between me and the end of the row. Not only that, but it would have been in very bad taste for me to get up and excuse myself from the closing of the temple session. I knew I shouldn't swallow it all and I couldn't talk because I was afraid of spitting it or drooling it out onto the beautiful white upholstered benches.
Then I had an idea! It's ink! Paper absorbs ink! I have a notebook full of paper! I quietly tore out a sheet of paper from my small notebook and tried to wipe out the ink like the paper was a napkin and I was spitting out an unchewable piece of food. Well that plan was an EPIC FAIL! See, in my panic I had forgotten that gel pen ink doesn't really absorb into paper very well. It needs some time to dry or else it will smear. That's exactly what happened. I ended up smearing shimmery green ink onto the paper and onto my mouth and chin and fingers. Awesome. That's when my roommate figured out what was going on with me and started silent laughing. I had to kind of laugh too. What a fix I was in!
The temple worker seemed to talk for ages after which he asked someone to give the longest closing prayer ever uttered (there may have also been a closing hymn, but I don't remember). Finally! I can get out of here! That's when I noticed who all the long-legged people were on my bench. 6 very polite and very single young men who had been taught by their mothers to let "Ladies first." Well, apparently the ladies first rule only applies to girls sitting in EVERY OTHER ROW! Can't they see I need to get out of here!? I have my hand over my mouth and chin like I'm about to puke (which I was starting to feel like actually) for crying out loud! I'd had this killer green ink poisoning me for 10 whole minutes! Well, I'd had enough and I pushed my way out the door and speed walked as reverently as possible (remembering I was still in the temple) to the bathroom where I was finally able to spit it all out into the sink. My roommate and a female temple worker came in after me to make sure I was alright. Once I had most of the ink cleaned off my chin, the three of us had a good laugh about it. That's when I noticed my teeth were also green. They stayed green for the rest of the day (even after brushing). The good news is that I was finally able to kick my pen chewing habit! :-)





6 comments:
Oh I would have been mortified! So glad you can laugh at it now, wow!
hahahahahaha Oh Julie! This is such a funny story. You say you were in your third year at BYUI but as I read this I couldnt help but picture you between the ages of 12-16. Which I dont mean as an insult at all but just that this is totally something that would happen to a youth aged person....which makes this story even funnier.
haha. Good story Julie!
I knew right away what story this was going to be and started laughing immediately! You are SO funny and SUCH a great writer!! That sounds like a snl skit...except for the temple bit.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I am so happy that you posted this. I often tell this story when someone asks to me tell a funny story. It still makes me laugh just as hard as it did that day. I think I even offered you the inside of my black jacket to wipe your mouth off in. I remember that I was sitting next to you and a couple of our roommates were sitting in front of us and all I could see was their shoulders going up and down from trying not to laugh out loud. I have never laughed so hard and it was a silent laugh. Another temple worker on the way asked me if you were ok and I laughed again telling her what had happened. They all thought you were sick. So funny.
Hahahaha! It's a good thing you had/have a sense of humor about it!
Post a Comment