Sunday, March 27, 2011

Hypocracy

Today at church there were some wonderful talks given about looking on the bright side of things in the midst of adversity. I was interested in what they had to say because it is something I've been thinking about for quite some time. In fact, I blogged about that very topic just the other day. Somewhere in the middle of their talks I was struck by the difference between their messages and mine from a few days ago. Essentially we said the same thing, but they expressed their thoughts in a much nicer way than I did.

See, I thought I was being clever and maybe even helpful by enumerating various aspects of Negativity Spreaders' personalities. Upon reflection, I recognize that I was actually being self-righteous and hypocritical. I was perpetuating the very thing that I was preaching against: being negative. In the post I failed to acknowledge the fact that no one is a Negativity Spreader all the time. In fact, most people are Positivity Spreaders more often than not. I don't fault anyone for their bad days or times when they just feel so overwhelmed or frustrated or forgotten that they can't find positivity on their own. Maybe that's why we all need friends and family; to help buoy us up when it seems like everything is going wrong and help us remember what is going right. Most of you have been there to do that for me at some point in my life. I am so blessed to have you in my life. Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Julie.

Liz Smith said...

well said. :)