Sunday, October 12, 2008

Dining Out

Hi folks! On Thursday last week we went to the ROTC detachment's Dining Out. Basically, it's a fancy dinner with an awards ceremony and sometimes a speaker. This Dining Out was different though because it was the 60th anniversary of the Air Force detachment at the University of Utah. Several alumni and their wives were there. Among them Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, Colonel Bernard Fisher; and Major General (that's 2 stars) Jack Eggington. It was an honor to meet and hear from these men. A friend of ours commented on Colonel Fisher's attire. He wore his medal of honor with a leopard print tuxedo jacket. Our friend said, "When you receive the Medal of Honor, you can wear it however you want to!" Some of you have asked me how I feel about Daniel going into the Air Force when the world is becoming increasingly violent. Here's how I feel. I am proud of Daniel and his desire to serve our country. He has wanted to be a fighter pilot all his life, and I am completely supportive of his efforts to reach his goal. I want him to enjoy his profession. I have seen men who hate their jobs and the stress it can put on a marriage relationship and family life, and the damage it can do to one's self image. I don't want Daniel to experience that. When Daniel and I were dating he let me know that he was going to be in the Air Force. If I wanted him, I had to accept the Air Force and military life too. I do worry about Daniel being sent into combat situations. He is smart, observant, cautious, and courageous and I know he'd be one to keep his wits about him and that he'll do all he can to keep himself and his fellow airmen safe. Despite my confidence in him, I have thought about him becoming injured, killed, or worse, captured and those ideas always scare me. I've decided that I can't dwell on that kind of thing. I take great comfort in the promises we made to each other and to God when we were married for time and eternity. No matter what happens to either of us on the earth, as long as we do our best to live Christlike lives, we will be happy and together forever.

In short, I'm proud and supportive of my husband, bracing myself for some challenging times ahead, and depending on God to keep my sweetheart safe. Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always thought that it takes a certain type of person to be able to stand and defend our country. I know several men and women who have joined the services and am constantly amazed at their dedication, courage and heart. Everyone in the services and their families have my up most respect!!! I love you guys and am very proud of everything that you have and will do for our country.

Liz Smith said...

that's a great post, julie. ive always admired military families and the sacrifices they make. i love reading about your family, you two are so cute!