Lately lots of people have been asking me about how I like being a mom. The short answer is: I love it! The medium answer is: I love being David's mom. I don't mind getting up in the night for my sweet little boy. The long answer is as follows:
I feel like this is what I was born to do. Daniel and I ask each other at least once a day what we did to be blessed with such a sweet and loving little boy. It's hard to believe that he's already almost 8 weeks old! These have been the quickest 8 weeks of my life! Just a day or two after we brought David home from the hospital, I looked at him and he looked bigger already! I started to cry because I was not prepared for just how quickly he would grow up. Not long ago I saw a group of teenage boys walking along the street and it hit me that all too soon my little baby would be one of them. I cried then too. Daniel and I have to try not to say "I can't wait for David to be able to ... " We look forward to him sitting up, walking, talking, using a potty, playing sports, etc. but we will take each milestone as it comes and just enjoy every phase of David's development.
I don't mind waking up at 3am every night to feed him. I don't mind leaving the party early because he's had too much excitement. I don't mind because I know it won't always be like this. I know that in a few short years I'll be sending him off to college and on a mission, and then giving him to another woman to take care of him for the rest of his life. At those times I know I'll be wishing I had spent more time holding him and playing with him and cuddling with him when I had the chance. That's not to say that I love it when he's crying and crying and crying and nothing I do seems to calm him, but I try to take even those moments in stride. David is such a good baby - and even if he isn't, I wouldn't know because I have nothing to compare him to and that's the way I like it. Ignorance isn't necessarily bliss, but it keeps me from becoming overly-anxious about things. I love being my son's mom!
Photos!





4 comments:
David is just so sweet! I can't wait to meet him. Im glad you guys take a lot of pictures too. Thank you for sharing.
Oh my gosh, Julie, what a lovely post. I started crying and have this huge lump in my throat! I totally know what you mean. I have felt that way with each of you kids. I remember thinking after you were born, "how can I ever love another child as much as I love this one?" I didn't think I had any more capacity to love. But then I did, and still do. You are SO fortunate to be able to stay home full time and experience every day with David. You both are wonderful parents! We think you should send this post to Dr. Laura.
I love all these pictures (and the post)! I like how you say you love not just being a mom, but you love being David's mom. So sweet :)
I love all these pictures (and the post)! I like how you say you love not just being a mom, but you love being David's mom. So sweet :)
Post a Comment