Friday, September 9, 2011

Instead of Sheep

I went to bed a couple hours ago and couldn't sleep for all the thoughts running around my mind. In one hour it will be my 30th birthday. I guess counting my blessings doesn't put me to sleep like Bing Crosby and Irving Berlin said it would. Talented liars. The last decade has been good to me. The most eventful part of my life to be sure. I dated a lot, went on a mission, got married, graduated college, worked 3 years as a teacher, traveled to lots of new places, made tons of friends, and tried to enjoy every minute of it (even the tough ones). I've become a real grown-up person. I even purchased a washer and dryer. :-)

I've really been looking forward to this birthday. In fact, a few months ago I made a list of 30 things to do before I turn 30. While I didn't get everything done, I have had an unusually productive few months. I've done a lot of things I'd never done before and challenged myself to do things I'd been putting off for a long time. It's been so much fun, I think I'll make another list for next year.

Looking back on my twenties has made me feel grateful for the experiences I've had and people I've known who have shaped me. I've been greatly blessed to have many opportunities to learn and grow as well as to associate with good people such as yourselves.

The next decade will be filled with it's own blessings and challenges. I'm excited and ready for it! In ten years, I hope I'll be as satisfied with my thirties as I am with my twenties.

One minute left. Good bye Twenties! Thanks for everything!

Maybe now I'll be able to fall asleep. After all, I am an old woman.  :-)

I love you all!




Birthday Tidbit: I was born on the last Square Root Day of the 20th century. Oh, you don't know what that is? Shocking! I was born on 9-9-81. 9*9= 81. Yup. I'm awesome. I don't know if Square Root Day is a real thing, or if it's just something my dad made up to make me feel special. Either way, it worked and I have always thought my birthday is special. When I turn 100 there will be an EPIC party. Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

Liz Smith said...

happy 30th julie! you are so awesome. im sure this next decade will be wonderful. :)

Ashlee said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Julie!!
You sure have accomplished a lot and have a lot to be proud of and celebrate today!!
Keep on smiling - it's what we love most about you! :)

Ashlee said...

P.S...that is one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite movies. :)

"...When my bankroll is getting small, I think of when I had none at all...and I fall asleep counting my blessings!..."

Megan said...

You are so cute and positive Julie. Thanks for always bringing sunshine into my life. Happy Birthday!

Laurie said...

Julie! You inspire me so much! You are so AWESOME!! Hope your day is so great. Wish we could be there with you...and I'll most likely miss your 100th b'day too...but I'll always be with you in spirit! By the way, you inspired me to do something I have NEVER done before...I went into a Japanese restaurant (by MYSELF) and ordered sushi!! I should have written that on a list so I could cross it off! Love you so much!

Danny and Karen said...

Happy birthday Julie. I really want to call you right now, but it's almost 1 AM for you. I wish I had called you earlier today so I could have wished you a good day and seen how your "birthday open house" went. I love you so much and hope you had a great day!!

Richard said...

Happy Birthday Julie. Square root days are real and in some 3rd world countries are celebrated by parades and sacrifices. Actually, I did not make it up. The Salt Lake Tribune had a little paragraph on it that I read on the day you were born. It's just a small part of what makes you so special. We should have a party on each square root day from here on. See you April 4, 2016 Love DAD

Jeff and Kathy Bell said...

yay for Julie! What a blessing it is to have you as a sister, a friend, and an example. Happy Birthday!