Monday, July 11, 2011

Negative Columbus Walmart Experience

If you haven't already read my post on my vacation, I hope you read it after you read this post. I'm sharing an experience I just had at Walmart. I've learned very much from it and hope you won't hold my naivete against me.

I'm very angry right now. Daniel and I went to Walmart to get him some pens and yogurt. On our way out to the car a man approached us asking us for jumper cables. I said that we do have jumper cables. Then he told us that he is from Tuscaloosa and staying here in Columbus because he lost his home in the tornado. He said that he has 3 young kids and that a church would be giving him some food on Thursday but he and his kids didn't have anything to eat until Thursday. He asked us if we had any food. Daniel offered him the yogurt that we just bought and explained that we don't have any cash on us. He said all they needed was bologna, bread and noodles. Then I said that we could take him inside and let him pick out a few things that he needs and we'll pay for it. He went right into the store. I told him I'd spend $15 and I waited near the entrance with Daniel. He was gone for a few minutes and came back with 5 packages of $15 steaks and 5 pounds of hamburger. It rang up to over $57. I said, "I told you $15." He looked at me like 'well it's already rung up.' When I didn't back down he had the cashier take out a couple packages of steaks so the total was $27. I said again, "I told you $15" so he took out the hamburger. The man was gone before I was even done paying for his $13 rib eye steaks and didn't even say thank you.

Scam cues I missed: he changed his story (first asking for jumper cables then for food), he told us he was a good person (real good people shouldn't have to tell you that they're good people), he didn't want the food we had, he didn't get the food items he said he needed, he didn't buy anything that would have fed himself and his 3 kids for even one meal let alone 4 days, he didn't say thank you.

At first I was really excited to help someone. I'd never done anything like that before and was glad to help a family for a few days. Daniel was unhappy with me for offering to go back into the store. He could see through the man's story when I couldn't. When I saw all he was buying was expensive meat I was really upset because that's when I realized I was being played for a fool. I'm angry with the man, but I'm more angry with myself because I missed all the clues that this guy was scamming me! This experience makes me not trust anyone I do not know. Those who are truly in need of help will take whatever is offered them. It's a pleasure to help others who are in real need because they are humble and grateful. This man was not. This man is taking advantage of others' kindness and generosity and is making them less willing to give and share their temporal resources. We've purchased meals for others before, but this meal went to someone who is, in my opinion, undeserving of such a kindness. I hope he burns his $13 steaks and they leave him with as bitter an aftertaste in his lazy, ungrateful throat as they've left in mine. Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

Danny and Karen said...

Julie, I COMPLETELY understand how you are feeling! That is such a frustrating feeling, to feel taken advantage of. I'm SO proud of you though!!! You didn't get taken advantage of because you stuck to your guns! You made him take food out until it was less than $15, and that, in my opinion, would have been really hard to do with someone who is so obviously pushy and dishonest. So, yeah he was a TOTAL scumbag and jerk but you spent what you would have spent even if he had been honest. I don't trust people I don't know either... it's sad because it makes the deserving people out there less likely to get help when crappy people like him ruin it. I seriously am so proud of you though for sticking up for yourself and not getting suckered into spending more than $15. You're such a good example to me. I think I would have given in and paid $60 then cried out of anger at myself for doing it. You did the BEST thing that could have been done in that situation. GO JULIE!!

Jeff and Kathy Bell said...

Wow The nerve of that guy. And to even use something so sensitive as the tornados and a family loosing there home. But yeah like karen said, good for you for sticking with what you said you would. The only thing now is to hope that this doesnt happen to someone who would spend anything to make him happy. We had been talking about people abusing the generosity of others and it can really be a trial especially if it is someone in the church. Julie I still love your generosity! And I love the last line. I hope he burns the steaks too! Though how would he even grill them?

The Larchars said...

Wow- I would be super angry too!!! And even though it didn't feel like a good deed because you were totally scammed, at least Heavenly Father knew your intentions and you still probably will be blessed for it! That is so true though, after scams like that it does make it so much harder to help people. :-( It's frustrating when a few bad apples ruin a barrel of otherwise enjoyment. So Sorry!!!

Laurie said...

WOW!! I'm SO proud of you for sticking to your $15.00 limit!! All the comments are true though. Heavenly Father knows the intent of your heart (which is good) and the scammer (which wasn't good). Thank goodness it only cost you $13.!! Next time bounce the idea off Daniel...two heads are better than one. So frustrating to not be able to trust that people are telling the truth.

Mona "Lisa" said...

Oh my! I can't believe that guy-- to have whatever you may say guts, stupidity...etc.. to come up and ask for money using the tornado scheme... You have such a great heart Julie! Don't let it change who you are...I agree with you that it makes you not want to trust or help others out. Wow! I'm sorry...

Ashlee said...

You are COMPLETELY justified in your feelings, I can assure you.

Don't let one bad apple ruin your sweet spirit. You are such a sweet, giving person. I know that you're angry now, but once this blows over you'll be able to trust again...you'll probably just be a little more cautious.