I was quite dedicated to keeping a thorough journal while I was on my mission. I also wrote really good letters home. I have those letters now and am thankful I wrote so much detail about what I was experiencing. Once I got home and started dating Daniel, I wrote less and less frequently, which I now regret because that was such an exciting time of my life. After we got married, the pace of life sped up and I would get frustrated at how slow I write by hand. I didn't feel like I was able to write what I wanted to write the way I wanted to write it simply because it required more time than I had. My solution to that was to not write at all.
![]() |
| My journals in chronological order. |
About a month ago, a friend told me about an online journal that she uses. To say I was thrilled would be an understatement. I was overjoyed and grateful for this solution to many weeks of heartfelt longing. It is a secure and free journaling service and has been exactly the outlet I've needed. Because it's online, I can type my entries, copy and paste from my blog to my journal and vice versa. I can attach photos, hyperlinks, word processing documents, quotes, and footnotes. I can give each entry a subject heading and even set up periodic email reminders to write. If I'm at a loss for what to write about (which has not been a problem thus far) there are prompts that I can respond to. There is also a section that asks specific questions about my life that I can answer whenever I want. When I'm ready, I can have my entries (including photos and other attachments, though I'm not sure about the hyperlinks) printed into a hard-bound journal for a very reasonable price. If you're interested, the site is www.ldsjournal.com. While the site is not affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it is designed for members of the church. There is no reason, however, why people who aren't members couldn't use it. Some of the specific life questions reference LDS beliefs or use LDS terminology, but those can just be left blank.
Thank you for hanging in there and reading to the end of this post. I've just been so excited about my new way of journaling that I wanted to share it with all of you. Let me know if you sign up for it and what you think of it!






3 comments:
Thanks for the info, Julie. I plan to check it out when I have some time to spend on it. So glad you have a place to write that suits you. Maybe when I'm in my old age (which is just around the corner a year or two), I'll read through my journals and make a separate journal of things I wrote about you while growing up. (Or you may have to wait until I die and do it yourself.)I absolutely LOVE reading your blog!! You don't seem so far away. Thanks for writing!! Love you SO much!!
I have a journal entry from when I was 7 or so and we were taking a trip to the cousins in utah and I wrote down how many cars I saw. I counted the whole way and only came up with a number like 300. Which means i probably stopped at like 70 and wanted the number to sound realistic. Chea right 300? I guess poor journal keeping runs in the family.
Julie, you have lots of journals it looks like! When I got to college I just made a word document and kept adding to it. Journaling on the computer is so much easier than writing by hand. I remember you were really good about taking pictures and making lots of albums. That's just as good, if not better than a journal. Good post!
Post a Comment