At any rate, one of the things I like to do when I'm off track is read. I love to read all kinds of books and my theme for this off-track period is "Get my life back so I feel like a more balanced, in control, happy person." I've got a whole stack of books to read and I've already finished 2. There is one in particular that I found very true, inspiring, eye-opening and a little bit painful. It's called "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" by Dr. Laura Schlessinger.

Daniel and I have what I consider a happy marriage. Granted, our marriage is still relatively uncomplicated since we don't have children, but we do try hard to make each other happy. When my sister recommended that I read "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands," I arrogantly thought to myself, "Why should I read that? I'm doing a pretty good job as it is." Well, the other day I saw it at the library and decided to check it out. I read it in a day and was surprised at how much I learned. Seriously, this book helped me understand Daniel, and men in general, so much better! I highly recommend this book to everyone! I realize that many people don't like Dr. Laura's style, but what she says makes sense and is very helpful.
Now, when I said that the book was a little painful I said that because in the examples Dr. Laura uses in her book, I recognized attitudes and behaviors that I have that are either irrational, hypocritical and/or inconsiderate of my husband. I really want to be a wonderful wife and I feel like I know better how to do that after reading this book. There are chapters about communication, feelings, marital intimacy, respect, time management/priorities, guy time and includes many excerpts from letters and phone calls Dr. Laura has received from husbands and wives about each topic. Very helpful! Again, I highly recommend that every wife read this book. I feel like it's made me a better wife already!





2 comments:
youve definitely sparked my curiousity. i may have to pick that up, im always looking for a good read. granted, i dont know how much more perfect of a wife i can be...haha....KIDDING! :P
I grew up listening to Dr. Laura on the radio - my mom is a huge fan. When this book came out, I was only in college (and not married) but my Mom gave it to me as a gift anyway. I remember really liking it then and filing away good thoughts for the future. Your post reminded me that I still have it (somewhere!) and should really read it again now that I'm actually married! Good stuff, thanks! :)
Post a Comment