Monday, April 6, 2009

LDS General Conference

This weekend was the General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For those who are unfamiliar with this tradition, on the first weekend in April and the first weekend in October our church leaders, including the president of the church and members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, speak to the world from Salt Lake City. The meetings are broadcast on some local television and radio stations, cable, satellite and internet so anyone who wants to may participate. Church leaders give addresses that teach, uplift, inspire, give counsel and remind us of what is really important. I love General Conference weekend because it helps me re-evaluate my life and my priorities. I also love it because I have had many prayers and questions answered through the addresses given at General Conference. This weekend's conference was no exception. Here are some things that stuck out to me and the names of the people who talked about them:
  • We should make our homes sanctuaries. Places where familly members and visitors feel welcome, safe and peaceful. I've tried to make our little basement apartment a place like that, but know that there are still some changes I can make. (Elder Gary E. Stevenson)
  • Jesus Christ understands perfectly what loneliness feels like. He can help me when I feel lonely. (Elder Jeffery R. Holland)
  • Going to church will be more fulfilling and meaningful if I go with the intent to strengthen others rather than going with the mindset of "what will I get out of going?" (Elder Dallin H. Oaks)
  • Limit spending money on "wants." (Elder Robert D. Hales)
  • Reverence and self-mastery are attitudes that must be developed and taught by example. Self-mastery is the root of self-respect. (Sister Margaret Lifferth)
There are many more things that I learned that I would like to work on. I'll start with these. If you're interested in reading some of these messages you can go to www.lds.org and click on "179th Annual General Conference." Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Julie- thanks for putting those comments on here about the talks!! Brandon said something about a mission reunion this weekend? Hope to see you guys there!! We miss you!

Liz Smith said...

I heart conference. Elder Hales' talk on provident living was my favorite. glad you enjoyed it too. :)

Kylee said...

I was totally thinking of you when I watched Errand of Angels. Have you seen the movie>? The girl gets called to Austria/Germany mission. IT made me think a lot about you. Miss ya lots!