![]() |
| David Tucker shortly after his birth. |
I know many of you are interested in the birth story. Some of you aren't and I don't blame you. For those of you who would like to read it, I have written it out (as best as I can remember) and you can read it by clicking on "David's Birth Story" under the "Pages" tab at the right of this page. Just a warning, it's pretty dry.
David was 7 pounds, 14.5 ounces at birth and 21 inches long. My parents said that's exactly my own birth weight and length. Daniel really hopes he'll grow to be taller than I am though. :-) We think David definitely has Tucker eyes and eyebrows, but he has my mouth and chin. He has super long toes which he gets from me and long legs which he gets from his daddy. He also has blond hair with the most adorable little swirl right on top. Daniel says he has a photo of it, but I can't find it.
Daniel and I find ourselves just staring at him most of the time because he sleeps a lot. Every day is a big day when you're only a few days old. We feel so grateful and blessed to welcome this sweet boy into our family.
My water broke at 4am last Tuesday morning. We went to the hospital right away and 25 hours later, Daniel delivered our son. We were lucky to be able to work with a midwife rather than an obstetrician and she showed Daniel what to do. I feel safe in saying it is the highlight of Daniel's life. I love the fact that the first hands to touch my son were his father's.
My goal all throughout my pregnancy was to have an unmedicated birth. I didn't even want to be hooked up to IV fluids. My reasons for this are that my mom had my siblings and I without medications and I want to be just like my mom. Also, needles of any kind REALLY freak me out so receiving an epidural was never an option for me. I was given Pitocin (synthetic oxytocin = labor inducing drug) because after my water broke my body wasn't contracting strong enough to bring David to us. After a long time (I don't really know how long because I was in a fog that whole day) I finally asked for a pain medication that I had researched beforehand. I asked for it because I'd been laboring for almost a whole day and knew I would still need strength to push my baby out. The drug I asked for didn't numb me but took the edge off the contractions enough to afford me some rest. It lasted about 45 minutes and was a huge relief. I knew to ask for this medication because I had called Labor and Delivery a few weeks ago to get a list of the pain medications they offer. Then I researched them all and decided which ones I'd be willing to take if it became necessary. I don't consider myself a pillar of womanly strength or anything, but I am proud of what I have done. It was the most difficult thing I've ever done and I did it.
That said, I could not have done it without Daniel by my side. He was so wonderful. He somehow knew just what to say and do to make me as comfortable as could be. I get emotional every time I think about it. All I can say is I am the luckiest woman in the world to have Daniel as my husband, best friend, greatest supporter, fierce protector and now the adoring father of my son.
I have always heard people say that mothers soon forget the pain of childbirth. Looking at my beautiful son I can confirm that. I have the most precious gift I can imagine and the price I had to pay to receive it was worth every minute of pregnancy and childbirth.
Now, enjoy some photos!
| Happy, sleepy daddy holding his hours old boy. |
| Ready to go home from the hospital! 2 days old. |
| Catching some ZZZZZ's at 3 days old |
| 6 days old |
| Such a sweet boy on his 1 week birthday! |
| I can't stop staring at him! He's just too adorable! |






6 comments:
oh julie, he is absolute perfection. So SO happy for you and daniel. Such a great stage that goes by way too fast. enjoy!!!
You are two and now three of the most special people I know. Thank you for sharing your life and your thought and feeling with those of us who could not be there to experience this special moment with you. We love you and miss you. Can't wait to see you again soon and to have the chance to meet Little Tuck (David).
You go girl! I'm considering a natural birth too, and you've inspired me! Expect a phone call or two when I get pregnant, haha. Congratulations!
Congratulations you two! David is adorable. Enjoy your sweet family!
congrats Julie!!! He is beautiful!!!
He really is so adorable I can't even stand it! You and Daniel are already such amazing parents and I am so happy for you, and also for baby David. He is one lucky little guy :)
Thanks for sharing the pictures! I love him already!!
Post a Comment