Every New Years Day since then, I have remembered that first day of my mission. It wasn't long after I left the mission home and warm, motherly embrace of my mission president's wife, that I felt all the excitement, hope, and confidence recede into a knot of pure panic. I felt completely helpless, utterly lost, and more isolated than I had ever felt in my life. I had never been so humbled. Everything in Munich was unfamiliar. The language, the money, the food, the toilets, the electrical outlets, the people and the public transportation. My mission companion, a wonderfully patient German, taught me how to survive, how to work, and how to enjoy being a missionary. But it was my Savior who taught me how to love the German people and their country. Even now, seven years later, I miss it every single day.
My mission is indeed the most wonderful and rewarding part of my life. I spent every day for 18 months walking and talking to people from all over the world giving them an opportunity to learn about the modern day restoration of Christ's church to the earth. Some were interested, many were not. Sometimes I wonder if I could have done more in that short time. 18 months looks a lot longer when it's in front of you than when it's behind you. I will probably never know the effects of my missionary service in the lives of others, but I'm ok with that. All I know is that I did the best I knew how, and that's all I could do.
I'm sure at some point or another we're all plagued by feelings of inadequacy. Whether it's as parents, as spouses, as employees, or in any other capacity. We think to ourselves something like, "If I'd only known ..." or "If I only knew then what I know now ..." But that's the beauty of life! It's a one way road. We learn as we go and do the best we can with what we have. I learned many things on my mission, but perhaps one of the most important things is this: Love every minute of your life - even the tough ones. Soak it all up. Experience your life, don't just let it carry you along. Stop every now and then and just take in the sights, sounds, smells, tastes and feelings around you. I think you'll find that if you do that, you'll find fewer things to complain about and more blessings to be grateful for.





6 comments:
Glad I had a tissue nearby when I read that! Thank you for your inspiring words and great example. I'm trying this year to "Take on EACH day" instead of just being a bystander in my life. GREAT post...I'll want to read it over and over.
I love this Julie. I'm so proud of you for the work you did on your mission. I know you worked very hard and you let the experience change you (not something all missionaries do, unfortunately). I'm glad we got to meet up while we were there. It was only for a few hours, but it was a fun experience to hang out with you and be a part of that special time in your life. I love you and miss you lots!
about a year ago when we were still working in the temple, i was in name issue and a sister came in and when she said her name, it sounded familiar, because it wasn't a common name. She turned out to be one of the sisters that taught my mom, sister, and I years and years ago. When her and her companion taught us, we weren't ready yet...but we never forgot those girls. We ended up getting baptized maybe 2-3 years later, so it was awesome to run into her, in the temple no less!, and show her that we did in fact join the church, were active, and that she had been a part of it. :) so i know that you may never know, but i am positive that you changed a lot of lives on your mission....more than you will ever know. i mean really, considering how you are able to have such an amazing influence on the rest of us, i know you had an even greater effect when you were serving. i am so happy you have such great memories of your time in germany! :)
I love that Julie. I feel the same way. :)
Love it Julie! Thank you!!! We never do forget that time, do we- but I thank you for your concluding reminder. I needed to remember that too! :-)
Ich habe viele Missionare getroffen seid ich in der Kirche bin, doch die wenigsten haben so einen Eindruck wie du hinterlassen. Danke das du so bist wie du bist. Ich hab dich lieb
Sandra
PS: Deutschland vermisst dich ;-)
Post a Comment