Thursday, November 4, 2010

#24

Discovery on Launch Pad 39A at Kennedy Space Center at 5am Thursday morning (today)

When I was in 7th grade, my English teacher, Mrs. Newman, gave us an assignment to write a list entitled "100 Things I Want to Do Before I Die." Now people refer to it as a "Bucket List." Number 24 on the list is this: See a space shuttle launch in person.

In 2008, Daniel learned that the space shuttle program was scheduled to end and the remaining 3 shuttes were set to retire in 2010. From that day on, we were on a mission to get out to Kennedy Space Center to see a launch. When I learned that the last launch open to the public for viewing was the November launch, I put my name in the ticket raffle. I also asked my parents and my brother to put in for it. My brother's name was drawn and my parents and I bought tickets. Daniel isn't able to be here because of his pilot training. Who knows, maybe he'll be in a space launch sometime in the future. He's jealous that I get to see it but he's so wonderful to let me. Thank you, darling!

So, here we are in Orlando. The launch has been delayed 5 days for electrical problems and now for rotten weather. Hopefully it will go up tomorrow, but even if it doesn't we'll be here until it does, dang it! I love space exploration! I love that our country has participated so much in it. I find it to be the epiome of human achievement. To me there are few things in the world as inspiring as thousands of people working together to build a machine to take humans into space and hundreds of tons of fuel.

You better believe I'll be posting pictures of when Discovery takes off! Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

Jeff and Kathy Bell said...

Julie you are awesome! Not just because you get to be there for one of the last space shuttle launches but because you have kept your "bucket list" since 4th grade. Wow! I dont even remember my teachers name! hahaha

Lisa said...

Wow! You are so lucky! What a neat experience! The sonic booms were always my favorite. We used to watch them launch there when we were kids. Hopefully, within the next few years we will be able to see more work go into the space program! Let's plan a Tucker/Gardner reunion with our future kids haha (+ Elisabeth)! Miss you guys and love to read about your fun adventures!