Friday, July 23, 2010

Reflection

I recently received an invitation to my 10 year high school reunion. It's hard to believe it's been 10 years since high school. I remember the first time I felt like I was aging, I was 15. I remember feeling surprised that I could remember things from 10 years earlier. I had never had so many memories in my brain before! That was 14 years ago and today, I feel the same way.

I've been trying to think of the things I've done in the decade since I finished high school. I moved out of my parents house, started college, served a mission, got married, graduated college, started a teaching career, and am now living very far away from any family in a place totally different from anywhere I've ever been before. I've met many people who have had significant impacts on my life. It's been a very exciting, challenging, and rewarding part of my life. I had to make the most important decisions of my life in these years and they've transformed me from an adolescent into an adult. I feel so grateful for parents who let me make small decisions for myself during high school (like who to go to a dance with) to help prepare me to make these big decisions.

This upcoming high school reunion feels like the end of a wonderful chapter in my life. I now find myself in a parallel position to the one I was in 10 years ago: looking forward to the next decade and all the changes, blessings and hardships I'll experience. I strongly believe that you need to embrace and love each season of your life if you truly want to be happy. I intend to do just that. Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Nice post, Julie! It gets one to reflect on their own life.

Liz Smith said...

it's crazy how time flies. i don't think im going to make it to my reunion, but since it's also in the planning works, i too have been thinking about these last ten years. So many great memories and growth, but it also reminds me that life is so short and that if you don't make the most of every day, it can easily zip on by! we've definitely been so blessed. :) enjoy your reunion!!

Shar said...

Well said, Julie! So you're going? Good! I'll see you there!