Thursday, September 20, 2012

California

As you have probably gathered from Daniel's most recent post, he is deployed. He's got less than two weeks left as I'm writing this. He's still doing really well and feels like his deployment has been a positive experience and that he's doing some important and worthwhile work there. I am so proud of him! Luckily we are able to video chat almost daily. I'm so thankful for modern technology! The deployment has been a major growing experience for both of us (more on that later).

Saying farewell to Daniel before his deployment. David was in rare form that day. It was a perfect storm of everything that would make a 2 month old baby grumpy: hot, crowded, noisy, hungry, tired, daddy leaving, sad mommy. It was not a good time for him. On the upside though, the squadron was handing out root beer floats! :-)
Since Daniel was away, David and I took a trip to California to see some of my family. It was a great trip as evidenced by the fact that I spent 5 weeks there. We did so many fun things!

David experienced his first power outage. It was so hot I stripped him down to his diaper. He got tired but has a hard time falling asleep if his arms aren't pinned down so I used a burp cloth rather than a blanket.

David met his Great-grandparents, his Uncle Owen, Aunt Megan and his cousin Bennett.
David turned 3 months old!
We went to the Long Beach Aquarium and looked at the penguins, birds and fish.
We went to the LA County Fair with Grandpa.
We watched some good college football. David is definitely a football fan already!
Enjoyed cuddling with Grandma.
I turned 31! My mom made me this map quilt. I love it! We'll keep track of all the places Daniel goes with colored ties.
I also did some sewing! I made this new quilt for our bed. I LOVE it and am so happy with how it turned out! My mom did more work on this than I did. :-) Thanks mom!
I also sewed this military service banner to hang in our house. Again I'm so happy with how it turned out thanks to my mom's know-how and help.
I had some really great conversations with my sisters, brother and parents and enjoyed my favorite hometown restaurants. It really was a great trip! Thank you Mom and Dad for letting us stay with you for so long!

Ok. here's one more cute picture of David to brighten your day:

Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Ahhh!!! This last picture is just THE best!! I LOVE. LOVE. LOVE this post!!! Great sum up of your time here. We had such a wonderful time with you and David and with the other kids as they could come visit too! AND Julie, aren't you so beautiful in these pictures too?? Great job on your projects and oh, I just wish the time hadn't ended! Love you all so much!

Kathy Bell said...

i love all the pictures! David is such a cute boy and I imagine the one with him and our dad at the fair he's looking at something AMAZING going on or someone just are their 5th fried twinkie and he can't believe it. haha. And its fun and im sure Jeff will appreciate our boy has a cousin who loves football too. Though at once we are all together to actually watch a game im sure they will be off playing and football wont matter. Well you've got one adorable son and some great new sewing talents with such cute things to prove it!

Allen Family said...

Love, Love, Love the map quilt. She did amazing!!