Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Our Next Step

In about a month or so we'll have moved to Washington! We are so excited to get there and settle in an area for a few years. The Pacific Northwest is our favorite area of the states. We honeymooned in northern Oregon and have often talked about retiring up to Oregon or Washington. We love being outdoors and WA has everything we love: the ocean for sailing, deep sea fishing, whale watching, float plane flying; and the mountains for hiking, camping, skiing/snowboarding. I think we'll really enjoy it all. The one thing I'm going to have to adjust to is the amount of rain and cloudy days we'll have there. I love warm, sunny days.

We have decided to buy a house in the Tacoma area. It's exciting but also kind of stressful. Since we won't be able to go up there before we actually move there, we're relying a lot on what we're hearing from people here in Altus who are familiar with the area and whatever we can learn from the internet. Our plan is to get a small, inexpensive home that we can pay off quickly. Basically, we're not searching for our dream home or an investment property, just something that will meet our needs while we're there that we will (hopefully) be able to sell for a small profit in a few years.

Hopefully we'll be able to find a house and move in and get settled relatively quickly before the baby is born. In case we're still living in base temporary housing when our little guy makes his appearance, I would LOVE input from you moms out there: what items could you not have lived without in the first month of baby's life? I'm talking bare basics here. What would you put in your newborn survival kit? Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

Ashlee said...

How exciting for you guys!! I LOVE Washington!

Congrats on your big move...I hope everything works out the way you want it to! :)

Feed Your Fitness said...

Here are my suggestions (besides a place for baby to be changed and sleep): stock up on paper plates, bowls, plastic silverware and cups. You wont want to do dishes for the first few weeks after you've had a baby. Rent or buy a breast pump, it will come in handy - I promise!

Lisa said...

So excited for you!! Your little guy is going to be here so soon. Yay- can't wait to meet him! As far as a survival kit, that is tough. Binkys, bibs {came in handy to save lots of darling outfits!},mylicon drops {heaven sent for their little tummy}, and a swing got us through the first few months. Wish I would have had a pump too!

For you and Dan: I wish I would have done some frozen meals {in advance} that I could have just pulled out and some easy, healthy food to grab since we were exhausted :) Another tip I wish I would have known with Ellie and you may already know all of this, but using a bucket of water /oxyclean overnight takes out any stains {blowouts/spitups}

So excited for you Julie! You are going to be such a great Mom!!

The Larchars said...

Simple meal plans prepped- yes, breast pump- yes, I agree. (we wound up going to walmart at midnight to buy a cheap, $80 double pump cuz I was in so much pain. Wearing cabbage helps lessen the gorge, but it is very slimy and uncomfortable to sleep in).

Other items really just depend on your lifestyle and baby's temperament. I was really scared of bathing my tiny baby at first, and one of those large sponge pads for around $6 at Shopko to lay your baby on in the tub was such a relief. Just make sure you have a good stash of diapers and wipes, because you go through a TON in the beginning. If I think up more, I'll let you know!
oh, and i really appreciated my boppy.

The Morton's said...

So many adventures for you! A new state, buying your first home, oh and giving birth and becoming a mommy!!!!!! If you are planning on nursing the pump was a must for me. (buy a good one that you can use for all your babies) and a bouncy seat. Both my kids loved the bouncy. We bought ours at target for 20 bucks and it vibrates, plays music and of course can bounce. Its just a nice portable thing to put your kids in starting from day 1. and I am a firm believer of binkies;) GOOD LUCK!