Sunday, October 4, 2009

Be a Blessing

I've been doing a lot of thinking this week. One of the things that came to mind in all my ponderings, has been something my dad told me when I was in junior high. When I was in junior high I, unlike all of you, I'm sure, was quite self-absorbed. I was convinced that everyone was watching me all the time and judging me (I now know that that is an adolescent frame of mind that psychologists refer to as Imaginary Audience). One night after dinner I was having a discussion with my dad about how oppressed I was and how unfair my life was. My dad and I had had many such discussions which I'm sure he had gotten quite tired of. I don't know if was out of exasperation or out of wisdom, or maybe both, that he finally said,

"Julie, people don't think about you as often as you think they should."

Ouch! My dad's comment infuriated me! What? Of course everyone thinks of me! I'm the center of the universe! I don't remember exactly, but at that point I'm sure I got up and went to my room wondering how he could say that to me. As I thought of his words in the days after that, I realized that he was exactly right.

That was a turning point in my life. Obviously, I have never forgotten those words and they remind me not to be so selfish. My life isn't just about what happens TO me. My life is about how I can show others that I'm thinking of them more often than they expect me to.

I recently heard a radio program (Dr. Laura) where a woman was talking about how she feels that her life has no purpose because her mother made her feel bad all the time as a child. I don't remember most of Dr. Laura's response, but what I got from it has become my new motto: be a blessing. You give your life worth by helping others. You make yourself valuable to others when you serve them. In the months since I heard that radio show, I have put extra effort into serving and being kind to others. It has given my life depth and has given me a reason to enjoy being who I am. I can make others happy and by doing so I make myself happy. As I've tried to be a blessing to others, I have received more blessings than I anticipated. New friends, strengthened relationships, a more positive outlook on life. It's like in the Bible when Jesus teaches, "He who loseth his life for my sake shall find it." In my service to others, I've found a life that's worth living. Print Friendly and PDF

5 comments:

Jane said...

Wow! Thanks! I've been in kind of a slump the last couple days and this has helped. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Julie, you are a wonderful person and a great example to me. Thank you for this testimony of service. It's one we all need to be reminded of throughout our lives. I love you.

Pete & Leah said...

First of all, your Dad is a very wise man :) It's funny because I seem to remember my Dad telling me something very similar! Thanks for the reminder, you should be a motivational speaker! I wish my kids teachers were as wise as you!! Seriously!

The Larchars said...

That is a beautiful post- and I for one can say that I have been blessed by your service and am super grateful for it!!! That statement by your dad is awesome!

And I agree with you on the service thing making life more fulfilling. I feel like I've had a few more opportunities now that I'm a stay at home mom, and that's been so fun. It really gets addicting, doesn't it? Good thing!

Annie said...

You're a blessing to me, that's for DANG sure! I adore your sweetness. You were selfish as a teenager? Pffft..... I wasnt.